Saturday, September 20, 2008

"Now we can settle this like we got some class...or we can get into some gangsta sh*t..."



Ok, I know this is coming out of left field, but last night I happened to be watching The Mack on B.E.T. This is probably the fifth time I've seen this movie and it's just as good as the first time I saw it in 1998. For those who have never seen this film, it happens to be one of the marquee releases in African American cinema. Ok, I know the content of the movie isn't the most positive, but you can't deny that this film is a classic.

So many songs, classic catchphrases and mannerisms have come from this movie. Not to mention, it had arguably the greatest soundtrack of all time (closely followed by the Waiting To Exhale soundtrack...YES, I SAID IT). Willie Hutch went IN...no better way to put it. You will hear his classic track, "I Choose You", which has been sampled for Project Pat's "I Choose You", Cam'ron had a song over this instrumental a few years back and most notably UGK & Outkast's now classic collaboration, "International Player's Anthem" (R.I.P. Pimp Chad). Hopefully, a few of you will go out and watch the movie after this...but if you don't, at least I tried.

No comments: